New year

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Christmas tree fiasco

Actually getting a Christmas tree up and running has been quite a challenge. Gavin found an old tree in the shed out back a couple months ago and we originally just thought we'd use that one since trees are soooo expensive ($300 for a fake tree, really!?). Our hang up came from 2 places, 1) we really didn't know what kind of shape it was in and 2) we'd have to spend probably 40 dollars on lights for it. So when my sister told me about the Joann's black Friday weekend sale where they had nice, pre-lit trees for $40 dollars I figured it was worth a look. But, in accordance with Murphy's law, when we got to the store they were out of those particular trees and only had the expensive ones left. The trip wasn't a total bust though, I got some cute fleece for blankets for like 80% off.

On the way home I decided to pop into The Home Depot, since I had to drive right past it, and price lights hoping that the shed tree was in good shape. As luck would have it, they had all of their pre-lit trees on sale too and I found one for $65. I was massively excited. The nest day, Sunday, my mom came over to help me decorate because she's the decorating guru. We spent probably 3 hours getting everything up and it looked amazing!! The disaster struck half way through dinner when the lights on the top of the tree inexplicably went out. Now the truly odd thing, and irritating beyond reason, was that it wasn't the whole top section of the tree (our tree came in thirds). It was just the top half of the top section. Before you ask, none of the lights were burnt out, I checked them all individually!! So begrudgingly, the next day I had to remove all of the ornaments and take the tree back to exchange it for a new one!

The new one is now up, though not decorated yet. I've been leaving it lit when I'm home to make sure that I don't have to repeat the whole process. So far its stayed lit so I'll probably decorate it tomorrow. It's made for a rather memoral first Christmas I'd say.

No comments:

Post a Comment